Analyze This!

Analyze This!
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=the+kiss&gbv=2

Monday, May 5, 2008

What I've learned from art

I have thoroughly enjoyed this semester and the Art 10 class. I believe what I enjoyed the most was the in-person art visit. I had never been to an art museum before, and going on such a beautiful spring day was really just a special, quiet event for my family and I. Seeing the works in person was much better and more touching than looking at them in a book.
I also enjoyed learning the processes that went into creating such art like paintings, printmaking and sculpture. I have much more respect for the art and for the artists- it really is a lot of work! I felt that our textbook was chock full of interesting art samples and covered each aspect of the art process quite thoroughly. The special sections on history and works in progress were rich with information.
I am personally thankful that this class is offered in an online format, but think that maybe I would have gotten even more from it in person. I say that because of my positive and personal experience at the art museum. I came away from there really connecting to the world of art, yet staring at my computer trying to complete an assignment was at times difficult. I thank our instructor for doing such a nice job in the presentation of the material—the opportunity to connect with her and with our classmates via the voicethread made the connection more clear. I was surprised to learn from my classmates the different opinions and views that exist.
My favorite medium of art before this class was oil paintings- and it still is. I feel the most when viewing these pieces because of the clear communication they speak and because of the use of rich colors. Watercolor paintings are too pastel and muted for my taste—I like the fine detail that can be captured in an oil painting. A close second of my personal favorites is sculpture. I am totally impressed that one can take a piece of solid marble or stone and bring it to life through carving. Amazing! A funny thing about sculpture is that I miss the presence (or coloring) of a pupil in the eye. If the rest of the statue was colorless, but the pupil colored, it would seem more alive to me. A funny and minor thought but one worth mentioning!
One thing is for sure- I will forever see the world differently because of this class and my experiences seeing art in a new way. Thank you.

No comments: